Friday, November 11, 2016

Review of 'Sacrifices' -- story by Shriya Gupta

I happened to read this story by Shriya as a part of submission material for the anthology Love: A Sweet Poison 2 of which I'm the editor. Selection of the story speaks itself that it's the story of substance and merit.

'Sacrifices' is the story of a married couple Vipin and Meera. Where Vipin is highly ambitious, Meera is quite submissive and tries to compromise with the situations prevailing between them due to Vipin's overindulgence in his job to the extent that Meera has to bear solitude for a long time quite often. When the things go beyond her endurance, she takes a bold decision and breaches the threshold to fulfill her own dreams. What does she do and what transpires between them due to her agitation, read the full story in the anthology.

Merits: The story is written with so much clarity that the tension between the husband and wife overwhelms the reader right from its tagline. The story tells everything so beautifully -- like the life of the couple has become so tense and mechanical that they hesitate to share their achievements and happiness with each other and they had to sleep without almost congratulating each other by heart. Really amazing!

Demerits: I tried to find some flaws in the story and read it a couple of times. The biggest flaw of this story is that it has none.

 Punchlines: 1. "I have succeeded as a husband but I have failed as a soulmate."
                   2. "We talk but we don't speak. We smile but we don't laugh. We do sex but we don't                                  love..."

Shriya, I congratulate you to write such a wonderful story with such a mature mind that the reader will find hard to believe that you're an undergraduate student. I think you have an amazing talent of seeing life as it is truthfully. Keep it up! I look forward to read more and more from your heart and pen, and to learn a lot from you my friend.

Rating: 5/5 which is first time from me given to a writer.
I hope you'll not spoil my hopes in future.
Best of luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment